Triptych  201 Banner ?>

World War II Triptychs:

Triptych 201

Nativity, 1944

Commissioned by: Citizens Committee for the Army and NavyMedium: oil on wood with gilded gessoExecuted by: Hildreth MeièreAdditional fabricators: Louis Ross, gildingRelocated to: Huguenot Memorial Church

Triptych 201, Nativity

Triptych 201, Nativity

Hildreth Meière’s Triptych 201, with gilding by Louis Ross, depicts the Nativity. The inscription is in reference to Luke 2: 11: FOR THIS DAY IS BORN TO YOU A SAVIOR WHO IS CHRIST THE LORD, in reference to Luke 2: 11.

Painted for the Air Force, the Nativity was sent to Lowry Field, Colorado, where it remained from 1944 until 1947. In 1966, the triptych was donated to the Huguenot Memorial Church in Pelham, New York.

In 1943, to encourage private donors to sponsor triptychs, Meière helped create a film of her collaboration with gilder Louis Ross on Triptych 201 of the Nativity.

The Making of a Triptych

Commission Location

Emblem

Huguenot Memorial Church
901 Pelhamdale Ave
Pelham Manor, NY 10803

Get Directions