St. Anthony of Padua Banner ?>

St. Anthony of Padua

Litchfield, CT

Wall panels in nave

Stations of the Cross, 1948

Commissioned by: Oliver ReganMedium: oil and gilt on wood panelExecuted by: Hildreth MeièreAdditional fabricators: Louis Ross, gilding

Stations of the Cross in nave of St. Anthony of Padua

Stations of the Cross in nave of St. Anthony of Padua

Architect Oliver Regan commissioned Hildreth Meière to design Stations of the Cross as wall panels for the newly rebuilt St. Anthony of Padua Church dedicated on October 24, 1948. The original church had been destroyed by fire four years earlier.1

Pilate washes his hands

Pilate washes his hands

Jesus accepts his cross

Jesus accepts his cross

Jesus falls for the first time

Jesus falls for the first time

Jesus meets his mother

Jesus meets his mother

Simon helps Jesus carry the cross

Simon helps Jesus carry the cross

Veronica wipes the face of Jesus

Veronica wipes the face of Jesus

Jesus falls for the second time

Jesus falls for the second time

Jesus meets the women of Jerusalem

Jesus meets the women of Jerusalem

Jesus falls for the third time

Jesus falls for the third time

Jesus is stripped of his clothes

Jesus is stripped of his clothes

Jesus is nailed to the cross

Jesus is nailed to the cross

Jesus dies on the cross

Jesus dies on the cross

Jesus is taken down from the cross

Jesus is taken down from the cross

Jesus is placed in the tomb

Jesus is placed in the tomb

The gilded backgrounds of the wall panels were executed by Louis Ross. Ross had also been responsible for gilding two additional commissions from Regan that Meière had designed for churches in Connecticut in 1940: Stations of the Cross at St. Joseph’s Church in Canaan, and the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary on wood panel at Church of the Assumption in Westport.

Additional Resources

Commission Location

Emblem

St. Anthony of Padua
49 South Street
Litchfield, CT 06759

Get Directions